All residents are encouraged to take the following prevention measures against WNV and other mosquito-borne infections:
To avoid possible infection from mosquito bites:
· Avoid outdoor activities between dusk and dawn when mosquitoes are most active; if you must be outdoors, be sure to wear long pants, long-sleeved shirts, shoes and socks.
· Wear light colored clothing as mosquitoes are generally attracted to dark colors.
· Use insect repellent and follow the label directions.
To eliminate mosquito breeding sites near your home:
· Eliminate used tires, cans, and areas of standing water from your property and empty water from flower pots, bird baths, and other containers weekly.
· Make sure all roof gutters are clean and properly draining.
· Clean and chlorinate pools, outdoor saunas and hot tubs. Keep them empty when not in use and drain water from pool covers.
For more information, contact the Licking County Health Department at (740) 349-6535 or visit www.lickingcohealth.org